Railfan Motels

Motels & Hotels with a railroad view

JAMAICA, NEW YORK -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jamaica, NY - Howard Johnson Jamaica NY 

Address:    139-09 Archer Ave                Phone: 718-480-3917

Location/ Directions:  I-678 Van Wyck Expy North to exit 5 Atlantic Avenue. Pass Atlantic Avenue and within 100 just after overhead bridge make right turn onto Archer Avenue second right after Van Wyck Expy exit. Hotel is on left side between 139 Street and 143 Street..

Average Price (Checked Jul 2014):   $104.00       AAA Rated:   n/a       Stars: (n/a)

About Hotel: BRAND NEW! (Built 2013) 7-Floors, 61-Rooms, Interior Corridors, Free Wi-Fi Internet access, Free Breakfast, Fitness center, 42-inch LED TVs with premium channels, Refrigerator, Safe, Hair dryer, Coffee maker, Cribs and roll-away beds are available. Kids up to age 17 stay free, Elevator, Business Center, 100% Non-Smoking Property, Housekeeping, Ice Machine, Vending Machines, Wake-Up Calls, No pets allowed.

Railroad View:  Excellent View!  Any room on the rear of the motel will overlook the trains.  4th floor or higher is needed, 5th floor or higher is best is best for a railroad view.  This motel overlooks the nations busiest rail passenger station, Jamaica Station.  Perhaps you heard the term "Change at Jamaica", that's because its heard on all 700+ trains through the station daily.  Anyone who had rode on the LIRR has heard it.

Railroads past Hotel:  Long Island Rail Road (Commuter railroad, 700 trains daily)/ New York & Atlantic Railway (short-line freight railroad, 6 trains daily - less on weekends) / JFK Air-Train (light rail vehicles, every 10-minutes or less).

Notes:   With over 700 trains a day, this motel by far sees more trains during a 24-hour period than any other property listed on this web site.  There are always trains moving through Jamaica.  95% of the trains seen from the motel will be electric "Multiple-Unit" passenger trains (consisting of M-3 & M-7 commuter cars).  The other 5% is LIRR double decked diesel powered commuter trains, NY&A freight trains, and LIRR work trains powered by MP15AC's.  This is a great motel to see what the LIRR is all about!  The best way to access the motel is by train.  Motel is next to LIRR's Jamaica Station, and Air-Train terminal.  Several buses & New York City Subway also service this busy area.  If you’re a railfan laying over at JFK airport, you may want to check out this motel, it’s a short air-train ride away from the airport.  New York City's Penn Station is also a short 20-minute train ride via LIRR.  

Comments:

Photo Comment:  A photo taken from the window on an eastbound Long Island Rail Road commuter train captures a westbound M-7 electric commuter train with the Howard Johnson motel behind it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Walking distance to Long Island Rail Road, JFK Air-Train, NYC Transit JAMAICA, NY Station